In June 2019, ROCK project was presented by URBASOFIA at the Changing Cities IV Conference in Chania (https://changingcities.prd.uth.gr/cc2019/.), in the pre-organised Special Session “Smart adaptation. Modernistic heritage for sustainability of the future”, chaired by Prof. Izabela Mironowicz.
The presentation was based on the article written by URBASOFIA & TU/e, entitled Cultural Heritage Adaptive Reuse for Sustainable Development pathways in Creative and Knowledge Cities, which proposes the investigation of Eindhoven case study on industrial heritage. The paper highlights the main steps for CH adaptive reuse, based on the successful case of Eindhoven, stressing on the importance of restoring the significance of original heritage in the community, ensuring its survival towards a three-fold development pathway based on: accessibility, collaboration and sustainability. In order to address the paper objectives and to highlight the complexity of the urban regeneration process of the industrial heritage, the analysis of the case study (Strijp-S area in Eindhoven) has been conducted in respect to the following criteria:
- the approach to material heritage conservation versus transformation – referring to the legacy of the site and the adaptation to the constantly-changing needs of the society, as well as the relationship with the existing context;
- the role of creative industries involvement – as main drivers of innovation;
- the importance of technological enablers for the process implementation.
Throughout the presentation, Sustainable Adaptive Reuse (SAR) guidelines have been mentioned, with an emphasis on the SAR process phases:
- Identify, determine and select the most suitable historic place/ area with high potential for adaptive reuse;
- Define the baseline state-of-play for the selected area;
- Map the significance and value of the place throughout its historical evolution;
- Adopt a creative and flexible attitude in the decision-making;
- Create synergies and link with other initiatives, and development projects;
- Communicate the historical value and significance and previous uses;
- Define long-term integrated management strategies and plans.
Highlights from the presentation
For more information, follow us on:
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCnqIJ9RBiLzBEta4cykn-Q